Administrative Assistant opening
The Museum of Vertebrate Zoology, University of California, Berkeley, is seeking an Administrative Assistant (III), (4722C) #17447, who will provide advanced operational level support for educational, outreach and administrative functions of the UC Museum of Vertebrate Zoology and will have general responsibilities for the Museum’s fundraising and educational programs, in addition to the front office.
The Museum of Vertebrate Zoology (MVZ) at the University of California, Berkeley, is a center for research and education in the biology of amphibians, reptiles, birds, and mammals. Founded in 1908, the Museum's mission is to document and increase understanding of the diversity of terrestrial vertebrates, with particular emphasis on western North America. The superb collections are at the heart of the MVZ program, where methods of field biology are combined with modern laboratory techniques and analytical methods in a comprehensive, synthetic approach. Our goals are to remain at the forefront of international research on evolutionary biology from the perspectives of systematics, ecology, behavior, functional and developmental morphology, population biology, and evolutionary genomics, and to lead the way in developing and using major natural history collections for research, education, and solving problems in biodiversity conservation.
Outreach and Fundraising Support
- Coordinate special events such as receptions and public lectures
- Coordinate program activities such as Cal Day and joint seminars with other Berkeley Natural History Museums
- Process incoming gifts. Send acknowledgment letters to donors, and track gifts as they are received
- Maintain a database of museum contacts and donors
- Create outreach and promotional materials, including bi-annual newsletter and one-page documents outlining giving opportunities
- Collaborate with UC Development office in planning fundraising events and other development initiatives
- Manage MVZ website
Undergraduate Program Support
- Maintain a database of MVZ undergraduate workers
- Facilitate recruitment and placement of undergraduates with positions within MVZ
- Serve as a point of contact for questions from undergraduates, and gather feedback from undergraduates to improve the MVZ undergraduate program
- Coordinate special events for undergraduates, including semester orientation, brown bag lunches with faculty, and end-of-semester gatherings, to promote a sense of community among undergraduates.
Other Educational Support
- Curatorial Assistance. Enter information on specimen loan shipments into MVZ ARCTOS database. Assist with archiving MVZ loan correspondence. Initialize documentation for receipt of Dead Animal Donation Forms.
- MVZ Publications/Archives. Collaborate with staff to develop and implement digital sharing of publications, grant proposals, etc
- Supervise recording and archiving of MVZ publications by work-study undergraduate student(s). Ensure that reprint collection is kept in good order.
- Assist MVZ faculty with travel, purchasing, shipments, and other administrative needs.
- Supervise scheduling, setup and cleanup of Wednesday Coffee and Treats.
- Facilitate scheduling and publicity for MVZ noon seminar.
- Organize and assist with MVZ functions (such as annual mixer and holiday potluck).
- Liaise with building managers and custodians regarding facilities problems within MVZ space.
- Coordinate key card access (in consultation with building managers) and volunteer paperwork (in consultation with Human Resources managers) for MVZ workers.
- Edit and maintain MVZ Directory.
- Coordinate office assignments for MVZ faculty, researchers, and students.
- Maintain calendars/reservation sheets for office hours, room and vehicle bookings, keys, and parking permits.
Front Office Support
- Welcome, screen and direct visitors and inquiries from general public.
- Oversee and resolve non-routine situations based on knowledge of established policies and procedures.
- Maintain security at MVZ entrance, including opening/closing secure door.
- Receive shipments and special deliveries, and sort mail. Assist staff with Special deliveries, e.g., interfacing with UPS, FedEx, and DHL for the shipping and receiving of curatorial loans and specific specimens, live animals and other valuable commodities.
- Answer telephone calls, directing them as appropriate.
- Facilitate visitors’ stay and new student arrivals, e.g. provide parking permits for guests and faculty, guest services and general orientation.
- Maintain general organization and room reservations of MVZ common workspace, e.g., Front Office and MVZ meeting rooms (Grinnell-Miller Library, Herp Lounge, etc.).
- Maintain MVZ stationery, office supplies, photocopier, and fax machine.
- Pay invoices for couriers and hotels.
- Maintain BluCard (reserved for special purchases).
Please submit your cover letter and resume as a single attachment when applying through http://jobs.berkeley.edu click on ‘Job Listings’ followed by ‘External Applicants’, and then search for job number 17447.
Additional Information: This position has been designated as sensitive and may require a Criminal Background Check. We reserve the right to make employment contingent upon successful completion of a Criminal Background Check.
The University of California, Berkeley is one of the world's leading universities in research, teaching, and public service. The campus employs 2,028 faculty and over 14,000 staff in more than 130 academic departments and interdepartmental groups, libraries, museums and more than 65 interdisciplinary research units contribute to this dynamic and vital research and teaching environment.
The University of California, Berkeley is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We offer a diverse working environment, competitive salaries, and comprehensive benefits.
Deadline for applications is March 22, 2014. Review of applications will begin immediately.