MVZ Garbage and RecyclingMVZ Handbook
Pests pose a big threat to the
museum and its collections and we need to
work together to prevent infestations.
Therefore, we ask for everyone's cooperation to reduce food and drink waste in the museum. It is extremely important (especially on weekends and over school breaks) to not leave food or drink waste (i.e., anything with any food or drink residue on it, including coffee cups & lids, candy wrappers, napkins, etc.) in your office garbage cans. If you leave trash in your offices, it could remain there for months.
Please help us reduce pests and keep the collections safe by referring to the following when disposing of waste. Please make sure you inform your guests of these policies and please take the time to remind others if they are incorrectly disposing of their waste.
Food in the MVZ
- Please only consume food in the designated food areas (Herp Lounge 3132 or GML 3170) or in your office
- You should not store food in your office unless it is in a sealed pest proof (hard platic or glass) container (desk drawers and ziplocs are not pest proof!)
- You should never dispose of food and drink waste in your office
- Food and drink waste should always be disposed of appropriately (see below)
- Do not keep dirty dishes in your offices
- Always wash your dishes immediately after using them
- Be sure to clean the sink of any food debris after washing dishes
- In general, keep your office areas and floors clean and free of garbage, food/drink waste, and dirty dishes
Food and Drink Waste/Compost/Recycling
All recyclable beverage containers (cans, plastic bottles, glass) should be disposed of in the "Designated Recycling Can" located at the end of the small hallway in the north-west corner of the MVZ near Archives (3174) and the Director's office (3176).
Look for the directional signs as you near this area.
All compostable food waste should be disposed of in one of the three compost bins (emptied daily Mon-Fri) - see locations below.
All non-compostable food waste should be disposed of in one of the three "Designated Garbage Cans" (emptied daily Mon-Fri) - see locations below.
Locations of Compost & Designated Garbage Cans:
- the Library (3170)
- the Lunch Room (3132)
- and outside the Map Room (3189)
Other Trash & Recycling
(Clean) Paper Recycling should be disposed of in the small blue recycling bins throughout the museum and in your offices (emptied 2x/month)
- No cardboard & no food or drink containers/waste in these bins.
- Do not leave cardboard or packing peanuts around the MVZ.
- No food or drink containers/waste in these bins.
Note: Just outside the MVZ front doors, there is a compost bin as well as additional garbage and recycling bins.