MVZ Key AccessMVZ Handbook
>> New Card Key Access
>> Extend your Card Key Access
>> Metal Keys
Steps for New MVZ Card Key Access:
- Your PI or Supervisor should email Leleña Avila to begin the process for card key access. Card key access will not be granted without your PI's/Supervisor's permission.
- Read these documents:
- Integrative Biology Injury and Illness Prevention Program
- VLSB Building Emergency Plan
- MVZ Safety Form Answers
- Prep Lab - 1st Floor: Terri Barclay
- LN2 Lab - 1st Floor: Carol Spencer
- Herp Lab - 3rd Floor: Carol Spencer
- Evolutionary Genetic Lab (EGL) - 4th Floor: Lydia Smith
- If you also need a metal key (see below) for your MVZ office, please let Chris know - both forms must be submitted together to the building manager.
- Deactivate it immediately by logging into your Cal 1 Card account, and then follow the procedure to pay for and pick up your replacement Cal 1 Card outlined in FAQs for Employees or FAQs for Students
- Contact Leleña Avila or Chris Conroy, inform them of the situation and provide the numbers on both the front (student/employee/affiliate ID #) and back (card serial #) of your new ID card so we can request a transfer of your existing access to the new card.
Please note that undergraduates, volunteers,
and visiting researchers are advised to
work during normal MVZ business hours.
Card key access is granted on a
case-by-case basis by request of your MVZ supervisor or
sponsor, and is not guaranteed.
If you are not a UC Berkeley employee or student, there is a $25 fee for the Cal 1 ID Card which is required for card key access (please see Leleña if this applies to you).
Steps for EXTENDING Key Card Access:
- If your card stops working, your card access may have expired. Please contact Leleña Avila or Chris Conroy. Undergraduates and volunteers should have their supervisor contact Leleña or Chris to approve extended access.
- If you were granted card key access prior to the VLSB Record of Employee Safety Training, you will have to follow the "Steps for New MVZ Card Key Access” above before your card can be re-activated.
- In the email asking for card key renewal, please include your Cal ID # on the front of the card as well as the serial number located on the back of the card, in the bottom right corner.
- Please provide a new expiration date in your request (we will verify with your supervisor/sponsor if applicable).
- Leleña or Chris will process your request.
- Card key activation can take up to three days, but is usually completed within 24 hours.
Steps for Obtaining Metal Keys:
Note: your card key form (above) and metal key form must be submitted together - be sure to coordinate.
- Print the Metal Key Application & Agreement Form.
- Complete the grey fields in the top most section of the form only.
- Bring completed form to Leleña for authorization signature and copy.
- Take signed metal key form, card key and safety form (above), and key deposit ($25 check made out to “UC Regents”) to the Building Manager (Adam Doban, VLSB 3028) for key issue.