MVZ Key AccessMVZ Handbook
Steps for New MVZ Card Key Access:
- Email Leleña (and cc your supervisor – MVZ faculty or staff employee) to begin the key card access process.
- Read these documents:
- If you are working in an MVZ lab (Herp Lab, Prep Lab, LN2 lab, EGL) you must:
- Complete the EH&S Lab Safety
Class before you will be granted
key card access.
- If you will be working in the 4th floor Evolutionary Genetic Lab, you can still get access to the 3rd floor, but you will not be granted 4th and 5th floor access until after you have been given specific lab safety training by Lydia Smith.
- If you will be working in Prep Lab, you can still get access to the 3rd floor, but you will not be granted Prep Lab access until after you have been given specific lab safety training by Terri Barclay
- Read and sign the Chemical Hygiene Plan for each of the rooms that you will work in. A generic version of this document can be reviewed in advance HERE.
- Review the EH&S fact sheet
for Material Safety Data Sheets
and the process for accessing
them from the on-line database.
Please note that students, volunteers, and visiting researchers are advised to work during normal MVZ business hours. Card key access is granted on a case-by-case basis by request of your MVZ supervisor or sponsor, and is not guaranteed. If you are not a UC Berkeley employee or student, there is a $25 fee for the Cal 1 ID Card which is required for card key access (please see Leleña if this applies to you).
Steps for EXTENDING Key Card Access:
- Card key access can be granted for up to 5 years. If your card stops working, please contact Leleña Avila or Chris Conroy. Undergraduates and volunteers should have their supervisor contact Leleña or Chris to approve access.
- If you were granted card key access prior to the VLSB Record of Employee Safety Training, you will have to follow the "Steps for New MVZ Card Key Access” above before your card can be re-activated.
- In the email asking for card key renewal, please include your Cal ID # on the front of the card as well as the serial number located on the back of the card, in the bottom right corner.
- We must provide a new expiration date, so please provide one past your expected date to leave UC Berkeley.
- Leleña or Chris will forward the email for renewal.
- Test card key in 24 hours. Card key activation can take up to three days.
Steps for Obtaining Metal Keys:
Metal Keys are not issued unless absolutely necessary. Faculty, staff, postdocs, and graduate students who hold offices in the MVZ are generally issued keys.
- Print the Metal Key Application & Agreement Form.
- Complete the grey fields in the top most section of the form only.
- Bring completed form + $20 check (made out to “UC Regents”) for the deposit to Leleña for completion, authorization signatures, and copy.
- Take signed form and check to Building Manager (Adam Doban, VLSB 3028) for key issue.