MVZ Access and SecurityMVZ Handbook
- NEVER allow strangers into the museum during the lunch hour, on weekends, holidays, or during non-operational hours (before 8am and after 5pm). During these times the MVZ front door must be locked. NEVER let people follow you into the museum. DO NOT assume they are approved for access to the museum - people with approved access during non-operational hours can use their own card key to gain entrance. When in doubt, it is best to err on the side of caution. When you enter or leave the MVZ, always be sure to check that the door is closed behind you.
- Close friends and colleagues are allowed in museum offices on a limited basis, but under no circumstances are they permitted to view collections without prior permission from a museum curator. Never give impromptu tours to your guests.
- During working hours (Monday-Friday, 8am-12pm and 1pm-5pm) all visitors must check-in at the Front Desk. Please tell your visitors to state their name and business to the receptionist. Please advise visitors of this policy.
- If you are expecting visitors to the MVZ, plan to meet them at the front desk at their appointment time. If you have a phone in your office, the person at the front desk will call you. If you need to make special arrangements for a visitor, please see the front office manager, Leleña Avila, in advance. If you do not have a phone in your office, please be at the front office to meet your guest at the planned arrival time.
- New MVZ members (faculty, staff, grad
students, and postdocs) should see
computer resource specialist, Billy
Dunaway, for new intranet accounts
where you can store and back up data.
Do not illegally download movies because UC Berkeley knows! Internet activity is constantly being scanned by campus security. In fact, UCB's IP addresses are well known in the industry, so illegal activity is NOT anonymous and ultimately can jeopardize MVZ's access. So please refrain from illegally downloading movies, etc., from the MVZ.
- We ask that graduate students do not hold office hours inside the museum. Specific appointments with individual students are permitted. If you have questions about locations for holding general office hours, please consult with the department office of the class you teach.
- The doors between the Gallery and the Front Office must be closed for temperature control of the gallery. This is especially important during non-operation hours for security. An air pressure issue in VLSB often prevents the front door from latching properly and is mitigated by closure of the Gallery door.
- If there is no one available to cover the front desk, Leleña will send out a message to the MVZ Community listserv indicating when the MVZ will close and reopen. If you are expecting guests during this time, you’ll want to make sure to be at the Front Office at their appointment time during the Front Office closure or give them a phone number to call so you can meet them.
As always, be aware of your surroundings and if you see anything out of the ordinary, let us know.