Museum of Vertebrate Zoology
University of California, Berkeley, USA
(1) Intellectual Property. — All content made available to you by the MVZ (the “Content”) — including but not limited to original data, text, images, audio, video, data, software, content presented in multimedia formats—is the intellectual property of the Regents of the University of California, Berkeley (“Berkeley”). Berkeley retains all rights, including copyrights, to the Content, subject to the limitation that copyright and other proprietary rights may be held by individuals or entities other than, or in addition to, Berkeley. To the extent data and other content made available to you by the MVZ is not protectable by copyright, your access to said content is conditioned upon your acceptance of the terms of this User Agreement, including the use restrictions set forth below.
(2) Limited General License. — You will not reproduce, distribute, display, perform, or engage in any other use of the Content, except as necessary to accomplish a bona fide, noncommercial educational or research purpose (“Licensed Use”). Copying or redistributing MVZ Content in any manner for commercial use, including commercial publication, or for personal gain, is strictly prohibited without specific written consent. If you engage in a Licensed Use of the Content, you will make appropriate attribution of the Content. A citation that includes the language “Museum of Vertebrate Zoology, University of California, Berkeley” will be sufficient attribution for purposes of this User Agreement. For Content obtained from the MVZ’s website, you shall additionally reference the website’s URL, https://mvz.berkeley.edu. For content obtained from the MVZ’s Arctos database, you shall additionally reference the database URL, https://arctos.database.museum.
This agreement applies to MVZ Content obtained from Arctos as well as from secondary biodiversity information sources (e.g., VertNet, GBIF, BISON). MVZ records obtained from such sources are suitable for data discovery, but should be verified against the MVZ Arctos database which will include the most up‐to‐date information.
(3) Use of Third Party Content. — To the extent the MVZ Content incorporates the copyrighted material of third parties (“Third Party Content”), you agree to make only such Licensed Uses of said Third Party Content as are consistent with copyright law. Berkeley does not guarantee that any use of Third Party Content will not infringe the rights of the content owners.
(4) Disclaimer of Warranties/ Limitation of Liability. — Berkeley makes the Content available free of charge and to the fullest extent permitted by law disclaims all warranties of any kind (express, implied, or otherwise) regarding the Content, including but not limited to implied warranties of merchantability, fitness for a particular purpose, and noninfringement. You access MVZ’s Content and/or website at your own sole risk and in no event shall Berkeley or its affiliates, agents, officers, directors, or employees be liable to you, in contract, tort, or otherwise, for any damages of any kind arising out of your access to the Content and/or the website.
(5) Indemnification. — You agree to indemnify and hold harmless Berkeley and its affiliates, agents, officers, directors, and employees from and against any and all liability, loss, claims, damages, costs, and/or actions (including attorneys’ fees) arising from your use of the Content, MVZ’s website, MVZ’s database, or the Museum of Vertebrate Zoology’s collections.